Our single-use stirred-tank bioreactor is one of the most commonly used reactor types in the industry. Thermo Scientific HyPerforma Single-Use Bioreactors (S.U.B.s) are designed based on traditional stainless steel mixing principles while offering all the benefits of single-use systems, including lower start-up and implementation costs, reduced CIP/SIP, and greater scale-up flexibility. The HyPerforma bioreactors use single-use BioProcess Containers (BPCs) made with our proprietary films and are specifically engineered for bioprocessing.
The benefits of S.U.B.s
S.U.B.s—efficient and proficient
Stand-alone S.U.B.s provide all the advantages of single-use bioprocessing without the need to buy a completely new bioreactor system. Our S.U.B. can be integrated with any controller system available in the market today. The S.U.B. combines elements of stirred-tank systems with the efficiencies in turnaround, cleanup, and validation found in single-use processing, while supporting scale-up needs and optimal cell growth, viability, and general metabolism.
The water jacket and resistive heater design allow faster heat-up and cool-down times, reducing process cycle time. Optional precision load cells and standard sight volume indicators allow you to keep your processes running efficiently.
- Brushless DC motor includes encoder feedback for improved RPM accuracy and is GFCI-compatible
- Upgraded resistive heater provides 2.25 W for faster heat-up time
- Bottom heater on resistive and water-jacketed systems increases heat transfer surface area
- 3/8 inch dimple jacket improves flow rate through the water jacket for higher performance temperature control
- Optional precision load cells monitor mass/volume accurately
- Graduated sight volume indicators accommodate visual volume references at a glance
S.U.B. tank design
The tank is designed for optimal functionality and is commonly used for scale-up applications and in cGMP. The open cart frame design also results in better operator ergonomics, a reduced footprint, and improved cleaning capabilities.
- Save precious lab space with a minimized vessel footprint
- Access harvest lines more easily with the open frame design
- Reduce hold-up volumes with the redesigned tank floor
- Simplify bag loading with a vertical access door (available on 500 and 1,000 L sizes; pneumatic hoist provided on 2,000 L S.U.B.)
- Readily access necessary tools through a dedicated adjustable tool holder
- Universal filter bracket
- Load cell lockout clamps
- Easily organize and identify tubing lines with optional cable management system and line labels
The S.U.B. BPCs will address your specific applications with either standard or customized configurations. They are also validated and interchangeable with your S.U.B. The standard designs are configured for a variety of applications, while the custom designs are for customer-specific applications.
Through our open-architecture approach, we have qualified a variety of single-use sensors, tubing, and connectors for customer design flexibility.
Features of the outer support container components
- 304 stainless steel with cut-out sections to facilitate S.U.B. container system loading
- Mixer motor integrates with seal/bearing assembly
- Electrical heater/water jacket option maintains bioreactor temperature
- Control unit (e-box) controls the mixer and heater (thermal blanket only) and can also integrate with existing control systems (open architecture models)
- Load cells are available on all models if specified
Features of the BPC components
- Vent filter: single-use capsule filter for exhaust gas exchange
- Gas overlay port: protected by a gas filter
- Ports: for additional media and other liquids
- Seal/bearing assembly: links with mixer motor and allows impeller to turn while retaining integrity of the BPC
- Impeller: molded polyethylene and linked to seal/bearing assembly by C-Flex tubing, which forms the outer sheath for the rigid shaft
- Probe/sensor ports: for integration of either standard or single-use pH and dissolved oxygen (DO) sensors
- Temperature RTD port: for integration of temperature probe while retaining integrity of the BPC
- Sampling port: for needleless sampling or connection for sampling manifold
- Harvest line: used when harvesting/draining the BPC
- Gas spargers: standard dual-sparger setup includes a micro “fritted” sparger and a macro “drilled hole” sparger
Featured S.U.B. systems
HyPerforma S.U.B. video
The HyPerforma S.U.B. is designed to provide enhanced functionality, ease of use, and efficiency while maintaining interoperability with any controller on the market today.