Biotechnology applications requiring large numbers of cells need a solution to support large-scale cell culture growth. Bioreactors are the solution for scale-up applications in research and development (R&D), process development, or large-scale biotechnology and bioproduction processes.
The stirred-tank reactor is one of the most commonly utilized reactor types in biotechnology. Thermo Scientific™ Single-Use Bioreactors (S.U.Bs) are designed as stirred-tank reactors for animal cell culture, using traditional stainless steel bioreactor principles for optimal cell culture performance, with the unique advantage of utilizing completely single-use product contact surfaces to help reduce contamination and minimize cleanup.
Featured single-use bioreactor systems
HyPerforma Single-Use Bioreactor Animation
HyPerforma™ Single-Use Bioreactors
Advantages of single-use bioreactors
Single-use bioreactors provide all the advantages of single-use bioprocessing without the need to buy a complete new bioreactor system. The single-use bioreactor system combines elements of stirred-tank systems with the efficiencies in turnaround, cleanup and validation found in single-use processing—all while supporting scale-up needs and optimal cell growth, viability and general metabolism.
During the design of each size of single-use bioreactor, care and consideration are given to produce scalable systems capable of delivering consistent performance through the range of working volumes. Since the single-use bioreactor is based on the traditional stirred-tank reactor, many of the classical and well understood scale-up/scale-down strategies can be employed.
Critical design parameters such as height-to-diameter ratios, agitation design and control systems have been preserved in our single-use bioreactor designs, enabling the user to scale easily.
Our single-use bioreactor designs include mixing and heating capabilities, load cell systems and different controller options. They are offered as a system with a reusable outer support container providing a variable speed mixer motor, electrical heating blanket or water jacket, control unit for integration with external control system and a mobile skid.
We offer two single-use bioreactor families:
The single-use bioreactor system consists of three main components:
- Outer support container—Available with a mixer motor, load cells, electrical or water-jacketed heating systems.
- Single-use bioreactor BioProcess Container (BPC)—this BPC is the single-use consumable required for use with the bioreactor hardware. It is supplied sterile and ready-to-use, and comes complete with the agitator (impeller) assembly, spargers, vent filter, sensor ports and/or sensors and line sets for media and supplements.
- Control system for agitation and temperature.
The single-use bioreactor hardware system consists of several components:
- Container—304 stainless steel with cut-out sections to facilitate S.U.B. container system loading.
- Mixer motor—Integrates with seal/bearing assembly on S.U.B. container system.
- Electrical heater/water jacket option—Maintains bioreactor temperature.
- Open cart frame—Minimized vessel footprint, easy harvest and sparge line access, simplified bag loading and casters for mobility on all but the 2000L size.
- Control unit (E-box)—Controls the mixer and heater (thermal blanket only) can also integrate with customer’s existing control system (open architecture models).
- Load cells—Standard on certain sizes only, but available for all models if specified.
The S.U.B. bioprocess container system includes several components:
- Vent filter—Single-use capsule filter for exhaust gas exchange.
- Gas overlay port—Protected by a gas filter.
- Ports—For addition of media and other liquids.
- Seal/bearing assembly—Links with mixer motor and allows impeller to turn while retaining integrity of the S.U.B. BPC
- Impeller—Molded polyethylene and linked to seal/bearing assembly by C-Flex tubing, which forms the outer sheath for the rigid shaft.
- Probe/sensor ports—For integration of either standard or single-use pH and dissolved oxygen (DO) sensors.
- Temperature RTD port—For integration of temperature probe while retaining integrity of the S.U.B. BPC.
- Sampling port—For needleless sampling or connection for sampling manifold.
- Harvest line—Used when harvesting/draining the S.U.B.
- Gas spargers—Standard dual sparge setup includes a micro “fritted” sparger and a macro “drilled hole sparger”.
Have questions about GibcoTM media, POROSTM chromatography resins, Applied BiosystemsTM SEQ rapid contaminant tests, or our Cell Therapy Systems products? Click below to access product brochures, training videos, mobile apps and more.