Analytical characterization of light elements, like lithium, is exceedingly challenging, if not impossible, using common techniques such as energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS). This is also true for high-resolution material analysis of samples with very low elemental concentrations. A SIMS (secondary ion mass spectrometry) detector enables sensitive surface analysis for many industrial and research applications. The technique provides detailed elemental and isotopic information about the sample and is capable of depth profiling analysis.
Secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS) is possible on DualBeam (FIB-SEM) tools as ionized particles are generated by the FIB milling process; because these particles come from a very shallow depth, it is considered a surface analysis technique. Ionized particles are identified and quantified based on their time of flight (TOF) in the drift space of the detector. Modern SIMS detectors are compact and well suited for measuring all elements of the periodic table as well as their various isotopes. The key benefits of added TOF-SIMS analysis on FIB-SEM instrumentation include:
- Detection and mapping of all elements of the periodic table, including light elements such as hydrogen, lithium, boron, and carbon in difficult samples such as low-carbon steels
- Excellent depth and lateral resolution, which is essential for 3D analytical characterization
- High-sensitivity elemental analysis capable of detecting concentrations on the parts-per-million (ppm) level
- High mass resolution
- Surface composition information
- Separation and analysis of all isotopes and analytical characterization of their spatial distribution
Quality control and assurance are essential in modern industry. We offer a range of EM and spectroscopy tools for multi-scale and multi-modal analysis of defects, allowing you to make reliable and informed decisions for process control and improvement.
Novel materials are investigated at increasingly smaller scales for maximum control of their physical and chemical properties. Electron microscopy provides researchers with key insight into a wide variety of material characteristics at the micro- to nano-scale.
Electron microscopy services for
the materials science
To ensure optimal system performance, we provide you access to a world-class network of field service experts, technical support, and certified spare parts.