Starting with high quality, pure, and intact total RNA is critical to many experiments, (e.g. RT-PCR, qRT-PCR, array analysis, Northern blots, nuclease protection assays and RNA sequencing). The table below will help you choose the right Invitrogen product to purify total RNA from your specific sample type and sample size.
Which Total RNA Purification Kit meets your needs?
|Order now||Order now||Order now||Order now|
|Gold standard for highly pure, intact RNA||High-quality RNA in less than 20 minutes||High-throughput purification of RNA and DNA||Complete, no purification system for qRT-PCR results|
|TRIzol Reagents||PureLink Kits||MagMAX Kits||Cells to Ct|
|Recommendations||Most Cited, Top Seller||Best for qPCR|
|Isolation method||High purity organic extraction (requires alcohol precipitation)||Fast, convenient silica column||Scalable, flexible format with magnetic beads||Chemical lysis (time to qRT-PCR results)|
|Prep time||~1 hr||< 20 minutes||~45 minutes||10 minutes|
|Compatible sample types||Most sample types, particularly more difficult to lyse||Cells and tissues||Tissues, cells, blood, serum/plasma, urine, plants||Cells|
|Amount of starting material||100 mg of tissue or 107 cells (requires 1 mL reagent)||Up to 200 mg tissue, 5x106 to 1x108 cells||Up to 100 mg tissue, Up to 5x106 cells||1–100,000 cells|
|Reverse transcription reagents included|
|qPCR Master mix included|
|High throughput compatible||
(plate format available)
Organic RNA extraction & purification
Organic solvents for RNA extraction offer proven performance, and are ideal for the most stringent applications when combined with silica-membrane filtration or magnetic bead purification. Invitrogen TRIzol Reagent offers:
- Broadest sample type compatibility
- Robust method
- Good for difficult samples (e.g. high lipid tissue) and scalable sample input
- Wide acceptance as the gold standard
Invitrogen RNA products
Invitrogen RNA products are designed to minimize nuclease (RNase) contamination and ensure experimental success in less-than-ideal conditions. Our RNA products are manufactured under the most stringent quality specifications and include:
- RNA purification kits
- Specimen collection and RNA stabilization solutions
- Nuclease inhibitors and decontaminants
- Nuclease-free buffers and plastics
- RNA ladders
- Northern blot reagents
Magnetic bead RNA purification
Magnetic particles offer solution-phase binding and washing kinetics to facilitate RNA purification and improved sample handling, including automation, ideal for higher throughput processing. Applied Biosystems MagMAX Magnetic Beads offer:
- Flexible and scalable throughput
- Amenable to automation for higher throughput
- Better removal of inhibitors and low elution volume resulting in more concentrated RNA
Silica-membrane RNA purification
Silica-membrane filters allow fast and easy RNA purification resulting in pure RNA that can be used in most applications. Invitrogen PureLink purification columns offer:
- A fast and easy method suitable for most downstream uses
- Wide sample type compatibility
- Familiar spin column format commonly used for low-med throughput
Nucleic Acid Purification and Analysis Support Center
Find tips, troubleshooting help, and resources for your nucleic acid purification & analysis applications.
- Protocol Videos—Videos to help you isolate nucleic acids using a variety of techniques.
- DNA & RNA Selection Guide—Find the right purification products.
- Videos—View our library of DNA & RNA purification and analysis videos.
- Application Notes—Explore our application notes from scientists sharing data for isolation products
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.