Generate high-quality Sanger sequencing data with our proven workflow
Our simple and fast Sanger sequencing workflow can be completed in less than one workday, from sample to answer. Thermo Fisher Scientific offers Applied Biosystems products to support many steps of our recommended workflow, from PCR amplification to data analysis. Learn more about each step of our recommended Sanger sequencing workflow below.
NEW! Sanger Sequencing Kit
The Applied Biosystems Sanger Sequencing Kit provides a convenient and affordable solution for preparing sequencing reactions. The kit provides all reagents needed for PCR cleanup, cycle sequencing, and sequencing product cleanup. Learn more ›
Video: How to perform Sanger sequencing
Use our online Invitrogen™ Primer Designer™ Tool to search for the right PCR/Sanger sequencing primer pair from a database of ~650,000 predesigned primer pairs for resequencing the human exome and human mitochondrial genome. Choose from different amplicon lengths to accommodate various research applications and biological sample types.
- Our primers are free of known SNPs and primer-dimers, highly target-specific and used under universal PCR conditions
- Full primer coverage for Ion Torrent™ AmpliSeq™ Exome Panel and Ion Torrent™ AmpliSeq™ Cancer Hotspot Panel v.2 Sanger confirmation workflow
- Flexible primer configuration to meet your research needs: primers can be ordered unmodified, M13-tailed, HPLC-purified or desalted
- All the primers have been checked by mass spectrometry and have passed stringent bioinformatics metrics; lab bench validation tests have shown >95% success rate
Platinum II Taq Hot-Start DNA Polymerase
Invitrogen Platinum II Taq Hot-Start DNA Polymerase helps you get to sequencing reactions faster. A unique combination of innovative buffer, high-performance Taq DNA polymerase, and superior Platinum hot-start technology helps enable exceptional PCR results, even in the toughest applications.
- Universal primer annealing at 60°C enables co-cycling of all assays, reducing tedious optimization steps
- An engineered Taq polymerase enables 4X faster DNA synthesis, inhibitor resistance, and robust amplifi cation
- Platinum hot-start technology offers superior specificity, sensitivity, and yields, and allows for room temperature reaction setup
- 2X master mix format helps reduce pipetting errors with fewer pipetting steps
More formats and information are available at thermofisher.com/platinumiitaq.
The Applied Biosystems ExoSAP-IT Express reagent offers rapid turnaround times and improvedefficiency of resource use while delivering the same superior cleanup as the original ExoSAP-IT reagent. Eliminate spin columns, magnetic beads, sedimentation, filtration, and gel purification. The novel ExoSAP-IT technology allows for a significant reduction in sample cleanup time with minimal steps, providing the simplest workflow.
- 5 min protocol
- One-tube, one-step PCR cleanup
- Novel enzyme technology
- 100% recovery of PCR products
Video: How to clean up PCR reactions with ExoSAP-It Express Reagent
BigDye Direct Cycle Sequencing Kit
The Applied Biosystems BigDye Direct Cycle Sequencing Kit simplifies the industry-standard Sanger sequencing workflow by combining post-PCR cleanup and cycle sequencing into a single step. The BigDye Direct Cycle Sequencing Kit requires PCR primers with M13 tails, which are available through the Primer Designer Tool.
Video: Sequencing with BigDye Direct Cycle Sequencing Kit
BigDye Terminator v3.1 Cycle Sequencing Kit
The Applied Biosystems BigDye Terminator v3.1 Cycle Sequencing Kit's robust, highly flexible chemistry is ideal for de novo sequencing, resequencing, and finishing with PCR product, plasmid, fosmid, and BAC templates.
BigDye Terminator v1.1 Cycle Sequencing Kit
The Applied Biosystems BigDye Terminator v1.1 Cycle Sequencing Kit is designed for specialty applications that require optimal basescalling adajcent to the primer, and for sequencing short PCR product templates with rapid electrophoresis run modules.
The Applied Biosystems BigDye XTerminator Purification Kit provides a fast, simple purification method for DNA sequencing reactions to remove unincorporated BigDye terminators and salts. No more dye blobs! Cleanup is complete in under 40 min and typically requires less than 10 min of labor.
Video: How to Purify Sequencing Reactions with the BigDye XTerminator Kit
On-instrument consumables are critical components of your sequencing run. Using the right Applied Biosystems products can help reduce your re-run rate and enables high-quality, reproducible data.
The Applied Biosystems SeqStudio Cartridge is an easy-to-use reagent cartridge that includes capillaries, POP-1 universal polymer, buffer, and pump. The POP-1 universal polymer allows for flexibility to perform Sanger sequencing and fragment analysis on the SeqStudio Genetic Analyzer System with one cartridge. Just load your samples, click in the cartridge, and go.
Video: How to set up a Sanger sequencing or fragment analysis run
The improved sensitivity achieved using the FREE Applied Biosystems Minor Variant Finder Software makes Sanger sequencing the ideal choice for oncologists and/or pathologists to call low frequency somatic variants (5% or below) where the number of relevant targets is often limited. The software requires no change to your current Sanger sequencing workflow.
- Call minor variants at a detection level as low as 5%
- Sequence a moderate number of targets at a low cost
- Confirm next generation sequencing findings in alignment view and Venn diagram
Video: How to detect minor variants using Sanger sequencing
Applied Biosystems Sanger Analysis Modules are FREE innovative cloud-based secondary data analysis tools that bring together multiple data sets in one convenient place. This online solution makes it easier to view, store, and analyze Sanger sequencing data.
Key features include:
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS) confirmation—one central location to confirm your NGS variants
- Variant reporting in absolute genomic coordinates—eliminate the need to calculate from reference
- Automated database search—automatically report genomic annotations for SNPs
- .vcf output for downstream analysis—search multiple databases with the Ion Reporter annotation workflow
Sanger sequencing chemistry guide
A perfect handbook for scientists and researchers using Sanger sequencing. In this chemistry guide, you will learn the basic principles of Sanger sequencing from workflow to applications.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.