Testing shows that TaqMan Assays and master mix outperform the equivalent Roche reagents on the Roche LightCycler 480 II qPCR system
We conducted side-by-side tests running Applied Biosystems TaqMan Gene Expression Assays with TaqMan Fast Advanced Master Mix and TaqPath 1-Step Multiplex Master Mix vs Roche LightCycler® Probes Master and Multiplex Virus Master on the Roche LightCycler 480 qPCR system. In both series of tests we looked for reproducibility and dynamic range, as well as singleplex vs duplex/4-plex performance. The results are in—and they just might surprise you.
Do you currently use the Roche Universal Probe Library (UPL)?
You probably already know that Roche is discontinuing their UPL product line. Did you also know that TaqMan Assays and master mix work great on Roche instruments and might just provide even better performance than what you’ve been experiencing? Check out the results from these tests, then check out TaqMan solutions for your research.
TaqMan Gene Expression Assays with TaqMan Fast Advanced Master Mix showed greater PCR efficiency when compared to Roche reagents
TaqMan Gene Expression Assays with TaqPath 1-Step Multiplex Master Mix delivered higher sensitivity and efficiency than the Roche LightCycler reagents—with no loss of performance when multiplexing
Figure 2. Comparison of singleplex vs 4-plex performance of Roche LightCycler Multiplex RNA Virus and TaqPath 1-step Multiplex Master Mix (no ROX) on a Roche LightCycler 480 II Real-Time PCR Detection System. Thirty-two TaqMan Gene Expression Assays were run in both 4-plex (5 replicates) and in simplex (3 replicates). The differences in Cq (Δ Average Cq) and slope of the standard curve (Δ Slope) between the assays run in 4-plex as compared to simplex are plotted here. Note the small Δ Average Cq and Δ Slope values with TaqPath 1-Step Multiplex Master Mix, indicating that there is no loss of performance when the reaction is run in 4-plex as compared to simplex.
Learn more about the TaqMan products used in these tests
- Gold-standard specificity, sensitivity, and reproducibility
- Designed to detect virtually any gene transcript, with more than 2.8 million predesigned assays
- Get results faster with proven TaqMan qPCR chemistry—no design, optimization, or melt curves needed
- Available for over 30 species and some microbial pathogens
- Best-coverage assays available to detect the highest number of transcript variants possible
- Flexible formats: single tubes, 96-well plates, 384-well plates, 384-well array cards, and OpenArray plates
- Backed by our TaqMan Guarantee: If you are not satisfied with the performance of a TaqMan Assay, we’ll replace it at no cost, or credit your account.
- Best-in-class performance—superior sensitivity, accuracy, dynamic range, and specificity compared to standard mixes in standard mode
- Enhanced benchtop stability—stable at room temperature for up to 72 hr in preassembled reactions
- Optimization for multiplexing—verified for duplexing with exogenous and endogenous internal positive control assays
- Reduced run times on fast and standard instrumentation—optimized for fast mode on fast instruments and fast cycling conditions on standard instruments
- Seamless transitioning to your experiments—verified with TaqMan Assays for gene expression and microRNAs, and TaqMan array microfluidic cards
- Ability to detect up to four targets in one reaction
- High sensitivity to detect low-copy targets with reproducible Ct
- Wide dynamic range compatible with multiplexing applications
- Tolerance of inhibitors commonly found in clinical research samples
- Manufactured in an ISO 13485-certified facility to help ensure lot-to-lot consistency
- Available with Mustang Purple and No ROX versions for universal qPCR instrument and dye compatibility
TaqPath 1-Step Multiplex Master Mix is a General Purpose Reagent for Laboratory Use.
Learn more about our comprehensive solutions for gene expression, genotyping, miRNA analysis, copy number variation analysis, virus detection, and more. Explore qPCR instruments, reagents, assays, and other products, including free data analysis software, for any of these application workflows.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.