Gibco™ Advanced™ media are enhanced basal media formulations of DMEM, DMEM/F-12, MEM, and RPMI 1640. Enriched with normal-serum constituents, these media require 50–90% less FBS supplementation, with equivalent or superior cell growth, and no change in morphology or function of many common cell lines.
- Reproducible results—Fewer lot-to-lot changes of serum means less variability in your cell culture conditions
- Lower cost—Using less serum and testing fewer lots results in reduced expenses for your laboratory
“I use the Gibco Advanced DMEM for my primary human trophoblasts (placenta cells). Previously, I had been using DMEM with 10% FBS, and now with Advanced DMEM I add only 2% regular FBS, Penicillin-Streptomycin, Fungizone and L-Glutamine. The cells are very happy in this media.” Cherie Kessler, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (USA)
Move forward with Gibco Advanced media
You tested different lots of serum. Combine your chosen FBS with Gibco Advanced media, use less FBS per bottle of media and potentially achieve more consistent growth. See how far Gibco Advanced media can take you.*
|Complete Media Yield|
* Gibco Advanced media is available as Gibco™ Advanced™ DMEM, RPMI, DMEM/F-12 and MEM.
Equivalent growth using less sera
For many standard cell lines, Advanced media can be used as a direct replacement for classical media. Growth comparisons of several cell lines grown in Advanced media (1–2% FBS) compared to classical media (5% FBS) show equivalent or superior cell growth and no change in morphology (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Growth comparison of multiple cell lines in standard RPMI 1640 supplemented with 5% FBS to Advanced RPMI 1640 supplemented with 0.5% to 5% FBS.
Standard RPMI 1640 supplemented with 4 mM L-glutamine and 5% FBS was compared to Advanced RPMI 1640 supplemented with 4 mM L-glutamine and 5%, 2%, and 0.5% FBS. Jurkat, VERO, and SP2 cells were plated at an appropriate seeding density per 25-cm2 flask and incubated at 37˚C in a 5% CO2 and 95% air-humidified incubator over a four-day passage cycle for two passages. On the third passage, cells were seeded appropriately into 24-well plates and incubated as noted above for seven days. Average cell count at day 5 (triplicate samples) is reported above.
Other benefits of Advanced media
- Direct substitution for basal media—For most applications, no weaning or adaptation procedures are necessary to reduce serum supplementation by at least 50% in a wide variety of cell lines. Provided in a 1x liquid format, Advanced DMEM, DMEM/F-12, MEM, and RPMI 1640 only require the addition of GlutaMAX-I Supplement or L-glutamine and the appropriate reduced amount of serum to make complete media.
- Using less sera has multiple benefits—Lowering your use of serum addresses many issues of cost, supply, quality, consistency, and regulatory concerns that you face daily in cell culture.
- Advanced media is a trusted Gibco™ product—Gibco products are infused with quality, customer-focused innovation, and service excellence from beginning to end. Gibco products always provide the highest quality, consistency and performance—for results that you can count on every day. Offering the widest range of cell culture products, award-winning service, and proven performance, Gibco products provide you with the quality and consistency you depend upon. When reproducible results matter, use Gibco products.