High-resolution accurate-mass LC-MS instruments for emerging needs
Thermo Scientific hybrid quadrupole-Orbitrap mass spectrometers enable both targeted and non-targeted screening and characterization. They also work with a broad range of sample type applications so that your laboratory can go from compound discovery to quantitation without relying on different instruments and technologies. With the combination of scan speed, high resolution, mass accuracy, spectral quality, and sensitivity you can achieve quantifiable certainty.
On this page
Genotoxic impurity analysis for NDMA in drug products using Orbitrap LC-MS
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a liquid chromatography-high resolution mass spectrometry (LC-HRMS) method for the quantitation of N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) in Ranitidine drug substance and drug products using the Q Exactive hybrid quadrupole-Orbitrap mass spectrometer.
More great content on NDMA quantitation:
Inside the Q Exactive Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap
- RF lens: The radio frequency (RF) lens stacked-ring RF ion guide captures and focuses ions into a tight beam after they exit the ionization source, increasing sensitivity. Large variable spacing between electrodes enables better pumping efficiency and improved ruggedness. Bent flatapole ion guide reduces noise by preventing neutrals and high-velocity clusters from entering the quadrupole.
- AABG: Reducing noise and extending maintenance intervals, the Advanced Active Beam Guide (AABG) enables intelligent ion beam management for high flux ion sources.
- Quadrupole Mass Filter with AQT: The mass filter improves precursor selection and ion transmission for more accurate quantitation of low abundance analytes in complex matrices. It also offers variable precursor ion isolation width selection from 0.4 Da to full mass range.
- Orbitrap mass analyzer: The Orbitrap mass analyzer offers unprecedented high resolution accurate mass (HRAM) analysis of ions as a function of their rotational frequencies; these data are converted to mass spectra using fast Fourier transforms (FFTs).
- HCD cell: Ions pass from the nitrogen-filled C-trap into this multipole collision cell and undergo fragmentation. Afterwards, HCD voltage is increased and the ions are transferred back to the C-trap, to be injected into the Orbitrap for detection.
Our hybrid quadrupole-Orbitrap mass spectrometry systems vary in terms of mass resolution, scan speed and analysis modes. Ideal for mass spectral analysis for targeted and high-throughput analysis of low-level components in complex matrices applications in biopharma, forensic toxicology, clinical and translational research, environmental and food testing. To find the system best suited to your laboratory’s specific needs, compare Q Exactive Orbitrap mass spectrometers using data in the chart below.
|Ideal Applications||Forensic Toxicology, Clinical Research, Food & Environmental Safety Testing, Targeted Metabolomics||Forensic Toxicology, Clinical Research, Food & Environmental Safety Testing, Basic Academic Research, Targeted Metabolomics||Forensic Toxicology, Clinical Research, Food & Environmental Safety Testing, Basic Academic Research, Sport Anti-Doping, Biopharma development, Metabolomics, Lipidomics||Proteomics, BioPharma, Metabolomics||Proteomics, Structural Biology|
|Analyses||MS and MS/MS, Qual/Quan, Screening & Confirmation||MS and MS/MS, Screening & Confirmation|
|Almanac Web-Based Monitoring and Management||Require Foundation 3.1 SP1 or later|
(up to 280,000 with BioPharma option)
|120,000 at m/z 200
(up to 240,000 with option)
|200,000 at m/z 400|
|<1 ppm with internal calibration
|Mass Range||m/z 50 - 3,000||m/z 50 - 6,000
(up to 8000 with option)
|m/z 50 - 6,000
(up to 8000 with BioPharma option)
|m/z 350 - 80,000|
|Scan Speed||Up to 12 Hz||Up to 18 Hz||Up to 12 Hz (at resolution setting of 12,500 @ m/z 400|
|Ion Source||IonMax with H-ESI II probe||(1 full cycle <1 sec)|
|Polarity Switching||1 full cycle <1 sec at 35,000 resolution setting||IonMax with H-ESI II probe|
|Multiplexing||3 (SIM only)||10||Up to 20 precursors/scan||N/A|
|Scan Functions||SIM||SIM & PRM||FS, AIF, SIM, PRM, DIA, ddHCD||FS, AIF, MS/MS, pseudo-MS3|
|Dissociation||In-source CID, HCD||In-source trapping, HCD|
|Intact Protein Mode||N/A||Yes|
|High Mass Rangen(HMRn, up to 8000 m/z)||Yes||N/A|
|Enhanced Resolution Mode||N/A||Yes|
The Lab-Forward Trade-In Program
The world needs science to move faster. Now more than ever. Which is why when more scientists have access to the latest scientific instrumentation, we all benefit. That is the sole purpose of our Lab-Forward Trade-In Program. For a limited time, trade in your chromatography and mass spectrometry instruments and save!
Learn how Orbitrap mass analyzer instruments enable consistent analytical certainty even in the most complex matrices based on their high and ultra-high mass resolution capabilities, high sensitivity and selectivity in full scan (and MS/MS) acquisition, mass accuracy and precision (robustness) and ease of use.
Laboratories performing LC-MS applications strive for certainty when identifying detected compounds. For many small molecule applications, conventional approaches aren’t enough. Laboratories require more, such as rich high quality spectral information and fit for purpose data analysis software to make satisfactory identifications and characterization.
Compound Discoverer software helps you extract high-confidence understanding from comprehensive Q Exactive high-resolution accurate-mass data.
Q Exactive Orbitrap MS ordering guide
Related products and technologies
Featured videos on Q Exactive Orbitrap Mass Spectrometers
Expand your application knowledge
Our LC-MS on-demand webinar series expands your application knowledge for pharma, biopharma, environmental, omics, food, forensics and clinical research and more. Learn how the latest high-performance mass spectrometry solutions can enable your laboratory to solve your most pressing analytical challenges, regardless of sample type.