Q Exactive Orbitrap Hybrid Mass Spectrometer (MS) Series
High resolution accurate mass LC/MS instruments for emerging needs
Thermo Scientific Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap mass spectrometers enable both targeted and non-targeted screening and characterization. They also work with a broad range of sample type applications so that your laboratory can go from compound discovery to quantitation without relying on different instruments and technologies. With the combination of scan speed, high resolution, mass accuracy, spectral quality, and sensitivity you can achieve quantifiable certainty.
Inside the Q Exactive Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap
- RF lens: The radio frequency (RF) lens stacked-ring RF ion guide captures and focuses ions into a tight beam after they exit the ionization source, increasing sensitivity. Large variable spacing between electrodes enables better pumping efficiency and improved ruggedness. Bent flatapole ion guide reduces noise by preventing neutrals and high-velocity clusters from entering the quadrupole.
- AABG: Reducing noise and extending maintenance intervals, the Advanced Active Beam Guide (AABG) enables intelligent ion beam management for high flux ion sources.
- Quadrupole Mass Filter with AQT: The mass filter improves precursor selection and ion transmission for more accurate quantitation of low abundance analytes in complex matrices. It also offers variable precursor ion isolation width selection from 0.4 Da to full mass range.
- Orbitrap mass analyzer: The Orbitrap mass analyzer offers unprecedented high resolution accurate mass (HRAM) analysis of ions as a function of their rotational frequencies; these data are converted to mass spectra using fast Fourier transforms (FFTs).
- HCD cell: Ions pass from the nitrogen-filled C-trap into this multipole collision cell and undergo fragmentation. Afterwards, HCD voltage is increased and the ions are transferred back to the C-trap, to be injected into the Orbitrap for detection.
Learn how Orbitrap mass analyzer instruments enable consistent analytical certainty even in the most complex matrices based on their high and ultra-high mass resolution capabilities, high sensitivity and selectivity in full scan (and MS/MS) acquisition, mass accuracy and precision (robustness) and ease of use.
Laboratories performing LC-MS applications strive for certainty when identifying detected compounds. For many small molecule applications, conventional approaches aren’t enough. Laboratories require more, such as rich high quality spectral information and fit for purpose data analysis software to make satisfactory identifications and characterization.
Compound Discoverer software helps you extract high-confidence understanding from comprehensive Q Exactive high-resolution accurate-mass data.
Our Orbitrap-Hybrid systems vary in terms of mass resolution, scan speed and analysis modes. Ideal for mass spectral analysis for targeted and high-throughput analysis of low-level components in complex matrices applications in biopharma, forensic toxicology, clinical and translational research, environmental and food testing. To find the system best suited to your laboratory’s specific needs, please refer to the chart below.
The Orbitrap Hybrid Mass Spectrometers offers the following features:
|Q Exactive Orbitrap Hybrid Mass Spectrometers|
|Q Exactive||Q Exactive
|Analyses||MS and MS/MS, Qual/Quan, Screening & Confirmation|
|Scan Functions||Full Scan, AIF, SIM, PRM, vDIA|
|Resolving power @ m/z 200)||70,000||140,000||without Enhanced Resolution Option||240,000||200,000 at m/z 400|
|with Enhanced Resolution Option|
|Mass Accuracy||Internal Calibration|
|<1 ppm||<1 ppm||<1 ppm|
|< 3 ppm||< 5 ppm||< 3 ppm|
|Mass Range||50 - 3,000||50 - 6,000||30 - 30,000||50 - 6,000
EMR mode: 350 - 20,000
|350 - 80,000 m/z|
|Scan Speed||Up to 12 Hz||Up to 18 Hz||Up to 40 Hz||Up to 12 Hz (at resolution setting of 12,500 @ m/z 400)|
|Dynamic Range||Up to 5 orders||Up to 5 orders|
(1 full cycle < 1 sec)
|Multiplexing||3||10||20||Up to 10 precursors/scan||No|
|Scan Functions||SIM||SIM & PRM||FS, AIF, SIM, PRM, DIA, ddHCD||FS, AIF, MS/MS, MS3|
|Dissociation||In-source CID, HCD||In-source CID, HCD||HCD & Insource trapping|
|Sample throughput||Low to medium||Medium to high||Low to medium||High||High|